Sunday, November 11, 2007

Trip to Montreal and Hong Kong

Montreal

(drafted on 9 & 30 November)

It is only 6am in Hong Kong and I am still wide awake and suffering from jetlag. Some images of Montreal linger on. The colours of autumn: red maples, yellow beech and old churches are in my beautiful memories.

I had just spent two weeks in Montreal with Anthony.
He was sent by his company to do some software work testing. Two of his colleagues have already been there for weeks. Long before we were married, we've been waiting for the confirmation to go. Perhaps, it was our second honeymoon.

It was a long & tiring flight, no easy journey. We took 20hrs flying from Brisbane to HK to Toronto and finally our destination, Montreal. At one transit, we stopped by Anchorage, a city of Alaska for refuel. We had a bad impression during our time in Anchorage. We were asked to get off the plane to pass through the US immigration. They took us photos and collected our thumbs print. This was an usual practice for a normal transit. We felt offended and our privacy invaded. A kind of intelligence they wanted to get from us. Thank you Mr. Bush a job well done. Is that worth spending on the security? With this experience, I cancelled my plan to go to Boston.

When we arrived Montreal, it was a bright sunday morning. Our first things to do were to get a phone card and a map. We had to understand their network, where to go, eat and see. Of course, it was my aim to have a good time there but not for poor Anthony. I started the exploration so that he could get the best out of the weekend.

The travel guide suggested that we must visit "Old Montreal", "The little Italy", " The underground city", and " Biodome & Biosphere". I dare say I can be your tour guide of Montreal after my 12 days of intensive walking.

The weather of Montreal was not as cold as I imagined. People said that the weather of Montreal in November should be snowing. It must be global warming. When I came to Brisbane and Montreal, I l've learnt environment from the Museum, TV and radio. Anthony is a faithful environmentalist, more or less I am affected. As the earth was given to us by God, we have a mandate and responsibility to protect it.

Canadian's history always associate the relationship between Britain and France. They fought the land for years. Geographically, there's a lot of advantages with being located along side with St. Lawrence river. Most of the artilery production was located there during the colonial era. 80% of the people of Montreal(Quebec) speak mainly French which is different from Toronto where they are mostly influenced by Britain. Montreal is well known for being the best designed city in the world. There are approx. 70-80 numbers of old churches ( mainly catholics) scattered throughout Montreal. Their styles varied from Romanesque to Gothic Revival. A feast that design students shouldn't miss.

According to the info., Montreal was initially founded by the Catholic organisation, "The Société Notre-Dame" purely for missionary purpose. Most of the time missionaries supplied the necessities for the settlers. They actively took part in establishing education and hospital. A lady, Jeanne Mance who was highly respected in the history of Montreal, unofficailly considered as the colony's co-founder. She also founded Montréal’s first hospital in 1645 and ran the colony in the principal's absence. We could easily find her name and statue in town.

Later in the weekend, we took a short trip to Toronto to see the Niagara Fall. Along the journey, we met a Dutch lady in the coach sitting besides us, we joined and walked together since she was not very good with directions. We made friends along the way. A single lady from New York who came to Canada for work joined us at the same table for lunch. Anthony's outspoken personality help us to make friends anywhere at anytime.

In Niagara, we took the helicopter ride to better appreciate the Fall. This was once in a lifetime ride we had to try. We were told that the helicopter was of the latest technological designed and one of the most quiet Heli. in the world. I was stunt by the view from the top of the fall. (Pls see photos)

We also visited the Casa Loma, a famous private castle in Toronto. I have always dreamt of wandering in a castle. I finally experienced one real castle in Casa Loma. We read the castle's story, looked at the sophiscated interior design, went around room by room and even climbed to the towers. We spent half of the day in the Castle as if backed in the Medieval age. This castle had witnessed the development of a Canadian history and a Scottish tycoon's legend. What a lively lesson! (Pls see photos)

I'm lucky to have the chance of visiting Montreal & Toronto. Anthony's colleagues, Geoff, Tony, Russell and David whom I had dinner with were wonderful. They gave me a treat (French crusine) for my final dinner in Montreal. They are very friendly people.

Hong Kong

Guess what I did when I arrived Hong Kong? I went hiking, with Fanny, Kwun Cheung, Roger & yum cha with Ling Hing. Seeing old friends is nice. However, there was no fun joining an official church service on one Sunday. Was it a church or a Christian making factory? But I missed the friends there who had once supported me.

Kindly light Church in Tsz Wan Shan, was another church that I had attended after my study in the UK (1994-96). I still remember the people. I was once a teens fellowship tutor. Now they've all grown up, getting married and raising children. How time flies! Eric & Chris., are nice God's servants. Jackie looked a bit tired since not having seen her for a while. A.Chung & Christella, m
y design study's tutor & classmate, it was good to share & catch up with them the current design market in HK. Thanks Gabriel & Lilian bought me dinner. Most of my time in HK was spent meeting old friends & families.

The rest of the time I spent in Yuen Long was to tidy up my old stuff which I had not organised properly before my rush departure for the wedding.

My home sick now would
slowly be ceased after the trip, and I wish I can go back Canada again because I have fallen in love with Montreal.:-)



No comments: