Sunday, January 27, 2008

The Australia Day

This weekend we have a long weekend because the 26th of January is the Australia Day. Australian Day is the official national day of Australia, commemorating the establishment of the first European settlement on the continent. As a new migrant, I don’t have a strong sense of national identity. However since last year’s Federal election, I see the freedom of this country. People have the right to choose their government. Although I am not yet a citizen I had to help my mother-in-law vote as she still has a limited grasp of English and the Australian voting system.

With such a celebratory atmosphere there were parties everywhere as well as Australian flags. Anthony and I stayed home and watched the live broadcast of the final of Australian Open tennis competition. The final Men’s single between Tsonga & Djokvic was exciting.

We also had a good time on Sunday afternoon at the Botanical Garden. We found a grassy slope by the riverside and spent a leisurely hour to watch the blue sky, yachts and boats. We enjoyed the summer breeze blowing along the river and watched people canoed and swam. What a lively picture of the Brisbane River in summer!

One thing I want to show you is my new Bike (please see photo).
This is a lady hybrid bike specially built for road or mountain. It’s very comfortable and nicely designed for ladies. I‘ve already ridden 15km this weekend!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi Christine,
您好,我是Chris。
下次您就可能投票了。

Christine Lee said...

Yes, I would like to vote.